Scratchpad, for those of you who don’t know, is my informal column. Take the ideas for what they’re worth and ignore the style.
Q1: What is the best measure of attention equity? Links? Daily visitors? Repeat visitors? Subscribers? Trends in the prior statistics? Something else?
Q2: Is scannable content contributing to ADD/ADHD readers? Does it contribute to information overload, by encouraging rapid consumption of content?
Q3: What trends do you see in the consumption of content? I feel that major shifts are occurring but can’t put them into words/don’t know where to look.
Q4: With Google stock’s recent $200+ nosedive, who else is going to get hit in advertising soon?
Related note: There’s a glut in advertising, driven by the trend to offer everything for free and make money by selling ads. The problem, as the article notes briefly in passing, is that the ads have to support something that is eventually paid for, or else you end up with a massive pyramid scheme.
Q5: Should you write scannable content? Or will that make people skim your content and cut into your attention equity? My hypothesis is that there will be poorer retention.
Friendly tip: Don’t bold headers that give away your whole paragraph idea. That encourages people not to read all you have to say, which may in some cases add necessary detail to the header. But if the whole can be summed up in a header, why are you blathering on for three more lines?
You’ll notice the headers here indicate the content to follow, but not the ideas contained therein.
Reputation Management: Get Human and The Domain Registry of Canada (DROC, Droc.ca) aka Registration Services Inc.
- Get Human help you reach human operators. Which is great, because too many companies rely on machine answering services! <rant> Now if only it would help me with those jerks at Paypal! I opened a $USD account at my [Canadian] bank (Scotiabank) and Paypal says that if I withdraw US $, the funds auto-convert to Canadian. But I want US$! Which is why I opened the USD account! If anyone here has the solution, please leave a comment and/or email me! gab at this domain .com
- The Domain Registry of Canada uses direct mail with sketchy language to make you think you have to renew/transfer your domains to them.
“You must renew your domain name to retain exclusive rights to it on the Web, and now is the time to transfer and renew your domains from your current Registrar to the Domain Registry of Canada*. Failure to renew your domain name by the expiration date may result in a loss of your online identity making it difficult for your customers and friends to locate you on the Web.
“* A Registered business styleof Registration Services Inc.”
Well golly gee, sirs, I guess I’ll renew right away!
It also appears these people operate the “Domain Registry of America.”
Reminds me of Network Solutions’ SEO consulting services.
Domains: How To Make A Market-Based Appraisal Tool
1) Scrape completed domain sale records.
2) Provide an input form for the domain and its extension.
3) Check the keywords in the inputted domain and the extension against the recently completed sales.
4) Provide list of sale prices for similar domains and average going rate.
I was at Treatment Search and clicked an AdSense ad there. It took me to a page that was down. That has got to be the biggest, stupidest mistake you could possibly make. Paying for visits to a page that’s down. I had screenshots but they’re lost, unfortunately.
p.s. On the schedule to be published/submitted for publication this week are a totally original greyhat idea and SMX West photos and coverage. Also, if you enjoyed this post, check out the first Scratchpad and the second Scratchpad.Tags: Domains, ppc, Reputation Management, social