Here’s the gameplan to sell my advanced SEO book:
1) The main target is to get people to download a free chapter from the book. To drive traffic to that page, I’m going to focus on guest posting on SEO and search blogs, especially if they allow me to include my author bio or links at the start, instead of at the end.
2) In addition to that, I’m going to seek out reviews from my contact network. Already I’ve been in touch with a number of people, giving away free review copies. I want to maximize press from the blogosphere. Again, this is to drive traffic to the free chapter download page.
But it’s also got the added benefit of pre-selling people, which should increase both the visitor -> free chapter conversions and free chapter -> buyer conversions.
A further benefit of that is that it should provide branding and hopefully search traffic.
3) To manage my outreach, I’m going to use BuzzStream CRM (probably focusing on the link building side of the tool). That will allow me to keep track of emails sent as well as Twitter messages.
4) I’m going to educate myself on Google Website Optimizer so I can run my own tests on the site and determine what are the most effective messages and so forth to use.
5) Continue usability testing the site and seeing where I can make improvements that will prove profitable.
6) Blog a lot over here so that I increase my sub count and get a variety of juicy inbound links. The focus will be on evergreen content that can be shared…
7) Eventually I plan to look into scaling traffic generation with an affiliate program and other ads.
8) Cut the distractions by reading much less from my RSS reader, answering email once or twice a day, and constantly ask myself if I’m being productive or just active. (Hat tip: Tim Ferriss’ 4 Hour Workweek )
Hopefully at the end of this I’ll be able to write a juicy case study on how I made a bajillion dollars and you can too!
Add my rss feed to your reader for progress updates :).